You’ve spent quite a bit of time in your English classes writing argumentative essays. You’ve even gotten pretty good at writing on the topics your instructor assigns. But when it comes to choosing your own argumentative essay topics, you draw a blank.
It’s not that there aren’t any good topics to choose from. It’s that you start over-thinking it, wondering if each topic is too cliche, overdone, or just not good enough.
Chances are, all you need to do is relax and find a topic you’re passionate about and, of course, one that’s debatable.
Why Pick Debatable Argumentative Essay Topics?
The name of the essay says it all—argumentative. It would be a lot easier to write an essay on something that people generally agree on, certainly. But that’s not really the point of an argumentative essay.
It’s important to choose debatable argumentative essay topics. You need opposing points that you can counter with your own points.
The world isn’t black and white—there are a lot of gray areas. This is good because it means there are a lot of topics you can choose from.
I’ve listed 70 argumentative essay topics below, phrased as questions, to help get you started. I’ve separated the topics into five categories—legal, moral, social, media, and family. And I’ve even included a helpful link for each topic.
Feel free to use the topics for your own essay or as inspiration to create your own original topic.
14 Legal Argumentative Essay Topics
Argumentative essay topics about legal matters are a popular choice. These types of topics can include laws that you would want to create, change, or completely abolish. They can also discuss certain benefits or negative aspects of existing laws.
You don’t have to get super technical with legal argumentative essays. But you do need to do your research on what the current laws about your chosen topic actually say.
After all, you don’t want to suggest a changing a law that’s already been changed in the way you want.
- Should cigarettes and other tobacco products be outlawed?
- Should prostitution be legal?
- Do the benefits of medical marijuana justify its legality?
- Is the drinking age appropriate (should it be lower, higher, or stay the same)?
- Should nuclear weapons be outlawed worldwide?
- Should the United States put more restrictions on gun ownership and use?
- At what age should girls have access to birth control without the consent of their parents?
- Should cellphone use be banned while driving?
- Does outlawing controlled substances only create a larger black market?
- Should corporations be granted personhood?
- Should juveniles be sentenced to life in prison?
- In what situations, if any, does a woman have a right to an abortion?
- Should restaurants be required to include calories on all menu items?
- Should an added tax be placed on sugary drinks, such as sodas?
14 Moral Argumentative Essay Topics
Moral argumentative essay topics are some of the easiest to get carried away with. They can cover a variety of moral dilemmas, from animal testing to the death penalty.
These topics tend to be very debatable because people have different opinions—and justifications for those opinions—on what they think is right or wrong.
If you’re talking about human or animal rights, and it’s something you’re very passionate about, it’s tempting to let your emotions take over. While it’s good to be passionate in an argumentative essay, remember to keep your thoughts focused and organized.
It’s definitely worth your time to create an outline. It helps ensure you don’t stray off topic. If you need help crafting an outline, review these two resources:
- Is animal testing necessary?
- Should consumers buy items from countries that endorse child labor?
- Do patients have a right to die via physician-assisted suicide?
- Should children’s beauty pageants be banned?
- Are nude photographs appropriate in museums that are open to the public?
- Should schools and businesses give more incentives for people to do volunteer work?
- Are atheists less moral than theists?
- Does freedom of speech give people the right to use hate speech?
- Do people who commit heinous crimes deserve the death penalty?
- Do pre-employment drug tests infringe on personal privacy rights?
- Should employees be able to have visible tattoos in the workplace?
- Are cameras in public places an invasion of privacy?
- Should teens be allowed to have cosmetic surgery?
- Should Dreamers be allowed to stay in the United States?
14 Social Argumentative Essay Topics
Social argumentative essay topics tend to overlap with legal and moral topics. But argumentative topics deal more about how individuals act within society and what kinds of pressures society puts on individuals or groups of people.
This is a pretty broad category. There are a lot of topics to choose from and even more that you could create on your own. If you get stuck on which topic to write about, consider something that personally affects you or someone close to you.
This should make writing about that topic come more naturally. Just be sure to rely on facts and not on personal anecdotes. Such anecdotes are more appropriate to the narrative essay realm.
Remember, even though you may be writing about something that affects you personally, the argument essay isn’t usually the place for first person point of view. Most argumentative research papers require you to use third person.
- Is there too much pressure on teenagers to go to college?
- At what age should citizens be allowed to vote in the United States?
- Should more rights be given to immigrants?
- Can heterosexual men and women truly be friends with no hopes or expectations of anything more?
- In what case(s) could it be considered fair for a company to not hire a candidate who smokes cigarettes?
- Should the United States make English the official national language?
- Should women wear less-revealing clothing in order to curb men’s catcalling?
- Do prisoners deserve the right to vote?
- Should there be a legal curfew for minors?
- Can online dating replace meeting a person in real life?
- Does social media create isolation?
- Should welfare recipients be required to submit to drug tests?
- Should adoptive parents be given some form of maternity leave?
- Can video games be a useful learning tool?
14 Advertising and Media Argumentative Essay Topics
Advertising and the media have become nearly inseparable from society as a whole. Essays written on these topics can include various angles.
For instance, you could look at how media (television, news, movies, magazines, social media, etc.) affects society. But you could also look at what should be allowed to be seen or heard through media and advertisements.
Inspiration to create your own advertising or media argumentative essay topics isn’t hard to find. Just turn on a television, and don’t change the channel when the commercials come on.
Pay close attention to all things electronic. You’ll be sure to find something debatable about what you see.
- Should sex be allowed to be portrayed on prime time television?
- Where should networks draw the line for violence on television?
- Should news shows talk about celebrities?
- Do journalists have a duty to eliminate as much bias as possible?
- Is it acceptable for companies to advertise in schools?
- In what situations should advertisements for alcohol and tobacco products be allowed?
- Should warnings and side effects be made more clear in advertisements?
- Is print advertising obsolete?
- Do TV shows and movies have the responsibility of being more diverse?
- Are public service announcements effective?
- Do photoshopped images affect self-image and self-esteem?
- Do reality shows, such as Teen Mom, glorify teen pregnancy?
- Does the media create unrealistic expectations of relationships and marriage?
- Does the media attempt to create hype to influence or scare the public?
14 Family Argumentative Essay Topics
Argumentative essay topics covering family life and values are abundant. That’s because every family is different. Rules in families vary on a case-by-case basis, contrary to laws that govern a state or nation.
Because each family is different, it’s hard to generalize in this type of essay.
However, there’s a ton of research on child development and psychology, marital psychology, and personal stories from parents and their children. You can get enough information to make an argument for any of the topics below (or for a topic of your own).
Not sure where to find sources? Check out 5 Best Sources to Help With Writing a Research Paper.
- At what age should parents talk to their children about sex?
- Do children deserve/need an allowance?
- Is it okay for parents to monitor teens’ Internet use?
- Should parents be able to spank their children?
- Is it acceptable for women to breastfeed in public?
- Should parenting classes be compulsory?
- Should parents push their kids into extracurricular activities, such as music or sports?
- Are children’s rooms really theirs, or do the rooms “belong” to parents’?
- Should single people be able to adopt children as easily as couples?
- Should same-sex couples be allowed to adopt children as easily as heterosexual couples?
- Which parenting style is most effective?
- Should parents pay children for good grades?
- How does helicopter parenting harm (or help) kids?
- At what age should children be allowed to have a cellphone?
Final Thoughts on Choosing Argumentative Essay Topics
As you can see, there are a lot of debatable argumentative essay topics you can choose from (way more than are on this list).
For more ideas, read these posts:
Need to narrow down a broad topic into something more manageable? Read How to Narrow a Topic and Write a Focused Paper.
And if you’d like a few more argument essay tips, take a look these posts:
Once you’re ready to come up with a thesis, check out these argumentative thesis statement examples.
Not sure what a completed argument essay should look like? Read 2 Argumentative Essay Examples With a Fighting Chance.
When picking your topic, keep in mind that it’s much easier to write about something that you already have interest in. In fact, that’s true even if you don’t know a whole lot about it. Researching the topic will allow you to learn more about what fascinates you.
And if you pick something you actually like, writing the essay will be more enjoyable.
If you’ve wrapped up your argument but think there may be a few holes in your logic, send your essay over to the Kibin editors. They’ll help give you the winning edge in whatever you’re debating.
Psst... 98% of Kibin users report better grades! Get inspiration from over 500,000 example essays.
“He who wants to persuade should put his trust not in the right argument, but in the right word. The power of sound has always been greater than the power of sense.”
– Joseph Conrad
That is one of the golden rules every student/young writer should memorize to carry out meaningful, powerful persuasive papers. The initial step to success is choosing the most interesting persuasive essay topics. To choose which subject you are going to discuss, it is necessary to view the full list of good persuasive speech topics from the particular field of study.
GET YOUR PERFECT RERSUASIVE ESSAY NOW
Dedicate a few minutes to looking through this article. It contains a number of the good persuasive speech topics high school & college teachers tend to assign. Do you have any questions left? A professional online writing service is willing to help every student who has problems with meeting the deadlines or writing argumentative papers.
Why Would a Student Need a List of the Interesting Persuasive Essay Topics?
What if I tell you that by reading this article every student will learn more about how to pick interesting persuasive essay topics and receive A+. Isn’t it a goal of each school/college student? Having more than 100 good persuasive essay topics is never enough without several supportive skills:
- Reading & Comprehension
- Research & Analysis
- Critical Thinking
The initial step to success is still selecting the subject to write about and acknowledging the opposing arguments.
Another great idea is to get some free essay examples of different types and on various subjects to get an overall idea of how a successful debatable paper looks.
The rest of the skills are gained during the elementary & middle school education. The teachers do not always assign the particular topic. Many students get stuck at the stage of choosing the subject; they fail the mission by being late.
It sounds like enough reasons to read the proposed article, which contains more than 100 interesting persuasive essay topics and valuable writing tips. Have I persuaded you to go on reading? It is the brilliant example of persuasive writing!
7 Tickets to a Winning Persuasive Essay
Take a stand: The golden rule of persuasive writing number one. Forget about the wishy-washy declarations in this type of academic writing: avoid generalizations like “Gender Studies as a school subject has its advantages & disadvantages.” A student must take a specific position (example: “Gender Studies is a useless, discriminative subject that must be removed from the high school/college curriculum.”
Check whether you have enough evidence to support the main argument (thesis statement). Conduct an in-depth research sitting in front of your computer or a school/college library. Apply both primary & secondary sources to collect different points of view, shocking facts, and impressive statistics.
“If you don’t know what you want to achieve in your presentation your audience never will.”
– Harvey Diamond
Decide on the target audience. Harvey is not the one to prove the significant role of the target reading/listening audience in the persuasive essay writing.
Out of the list of good persuasive speech topics, make a shorter list specifying the ideas you are familiar with and possess enough evidence to support your argument. The writer’s position must make sense (example: instead of claiming that murder is bad, state that a death penalty is not the most effective punishment and it will not stop serial killers fro what they do.)
Follow the accepted academic paper structure: introduction, 3-5 body paragraphs (one argument per each), conclusion, and Bibliography/References page.
Define the purpose. Are you trying to introduce an unpopular view on the subject of matter or are you writing to prove your position is right? The tone/voice of the final paper depends on these factors.
Add something more than evidence. Write your paper on one of the interesting persuasive essay topics based on the collected evidence, but do not forget to include other supporting elements such as examples & meaningful explanations. It would be great to write about things the writer has faced in his life.
GET YOUR PERSUASIVE ESSAY HERE
Enjoy 103 Good Persuasive Speech Topics: Make Your Choice Wisely!
Are you waiting impatiently to view the recommended list of good persuasive speech topics? We have divided 100+ cool persuasive topics into separate categories to make it simpler to choose the subject based on the student’s specialization.
Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
- Girls and boys can play in the same games teams
- Every professional athlete must pass the drug test before the contest
- What is the role of sports day in educational life?
- Are athletes better role models than rock stars?
- High school & college sportsmen should be paid
- Extreme kinds of sports must be banned for children
- The scandals may ruin the Olympic Games
- David Beckham is an overrated football player
- Swimming is the safest and healthiest type of sports
- The role of Physical Education in modern schools is underestimated
Persuasive Essay Topics on Education
- Schools should make the classes shorter and more frequent
- It is important to decrease the amount of homework (get inspired)
- Why do parents deserve a greater impact on education?
- Which subject can be excluded from the high school program?
- Teachers deserve shorter holidays
- Students need longer holidays
- Gender Studies is a discriminative subject
- Should students be rewarded for the high test scores?
- Is there a way to punish school bullying effectively?
- Should schools abolish examinations?
Persuasive Essay Topics about Animals
- Why protecting a Giant Panda is critical?
- Zoos are worse than human prisons
- A zoo is much better than a jail
- Foxes should be bred into the home pets
- What is the least dangerous animal on the planet?
- The influence of wild animals on nature
- Hunting for sport is an acceptable pastime
- They should make hunting illegal
- No one has a right to keep wild-caught exotic animals against their will
- People should stop wearing fur & leather clothing
Good Persuasive Essay Topics for High School
- Pros and cons of wearing a school uniform
- The problem of hate crime in schools
- Our society is no longer male-dominated
- Does modern TV impinge on the adolescent’s intellect?
- Global Warming: myth or truth?
- The ethical & moral aspects of cloning
- Abortions should be illegal
- Death sentence is an acceptable punishing measure
- Companies must start paying paternity leave to fathers
- Should various communication devices be allowed during the examinations?
Persuasive Essay Topics about Music
- Percussionists cannot be called professional musicians
- It is time to make music literacy a mandatory element of high school/college curricula
- Are school students better off studying dance or music?
- Why are American and British musicians more paid than the artists from the rest of the world?
- Does it make sense to invest in your personal band?
- Every person with normal hearing can sing
- Playing bass guitar is not easier than playing 6-string electro guitar
- Music is one of the best treatments to cure mental disorders
- Can some genres like heavy metal push the children to commit suicide?
- Is gothic music focus on the topic of death?
Science Persuasive Essay Topics
- Are cell phones safe?
- They must allow the law enforcement to apply DNA profiling in criminal investigations
- People have no right to conduct medical research on animal species
- The government should participate in developing measures necessary to prevent rare species of plants/animals from extinction
- Our activity contributes to the global warming
- People alone are responsible for the high level of pollution in the atmosphere
- Should oil companies be held more accountable in terms of the oil spills?
- Can marijuana be used as a medical treatment?
- They should stop cloning animals
- Is it safe to eat genetically modified food?
Persuasive Essay Topics for Elementary Students
- The positive outcomes of war
- Homework writing assignments are useless in elementary school
- Collecting cars or dolls is the most boring hobby in the world
- Students of any age must have permission to keep their devices on during the class
- School cafeteria serve almost poisonous food
- Colleges must provide students with the free lunches
- Money can bring happiness
- Should students do homework tasks every night?
- Why can every child have a pet?
- What has more impact - recycling or donating?
Self-Help Writing Ideas
- Improve your time management to succeed at work
- The way to dress for success
- Why is it important to be true?
- Do the embarrassing episodes make people stronger?
- Potential catastrophes make people who survive value their lives more than before
- Should people live their lives spontaneously?
- Are determination and hard work enough to be successful?
- Self-confident is the most important personal trait
- Hobbies help to continue personal growth
- Is music a stress reliever capable of decreasing depression?
Government & Politics Argumentative Paper Ideas
- Recruiters must be required to post job vacancies on a government-run website
- Why is it the responsibility of our government to shelter homeless people?
- Must the religious groups drive the state fund schools?
- Puerto Rico should become a state
- Alaska has never belonged to the United States
- Barack Obama deserves to be printed on the new US banknotes
- Justice system in the United States has to be improved
- The military budget is rather huge: it is time to reduce it!
- Is a war on drugs failure?
- Marijuana can help to achieve peace around the world
Funny & Humorous Debatable Paper Ideas
(more ideas to make your homework answers smart!)
- Blondes are not necessarily dumb
- Humorous pick-up lines work
- Do men gossip more than women?
- Why should students be allowed to drink beer at school?
- They should assign PE writing homework
- Never let your parents become your FaceBook friends/followers
- Moms can be more fun & crazy than dads
- Debatable essays are pointless
- “Family Guy” displayed “Star Wars” better than George Lucas
- Men should start wearing pink clothing
Find a bonus: 3 more good persuasive essay topics you may write about:
- Reservation casinos are beneficial if managed properly (Finances class).
- Should Scotland gain independence? (History class)
- There is no way to defend & support gay marriage (International Relations class).
The proposed list of the good persuasive speech topics gives a clear understanding of what to write about to impress a high school/college teacher or the public. Choose the topic wisely! A student must be comfortable with his choice and elaborate on it to develop a powerful thesis and defend it. Don’t forget to add a strong hook at the beginning (introduction paragraph) and end up with an impressive conclusion to make the reader want to discuss the interesting persuasive essay topics of your choice. We wish you good luck!
P.S. Keep in mind you can contact online academic writers to assist in topic selection as well as writing the whole paper from A to Z.